MKV is a versatile multimedia container format that can accommodate a variety of different types of encoded video, audio and subtitle streams, even streaming media such as Real Media and QuickTime. But it has two obvious drawbacks, it takes a lot of space to store the video, and even if the codec is installed, not all media players can play this format. If you want to play MKV videos on Adobe After Effects and video editing software premiere, then converting MKV to H.264 is a wise choice.
H.264 is also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding, abbreviated as MPEG-4 AVC). Proposed by the cooperation between ITU and MPEG, it is the most popular coding method at the moment. There are several main advantages:
1. The first advantage is low bit rate: Compared with compression technologies such as MPEG2 and MPEG4 ASP, the amount of data compressed by H.264 technology is only 1/8 of MPEG2 under the same image quality. 1/3 of MPEG4.
2. The second advantage is high-quality images: H.264 provides continuous, smooth, high-quality images.
3. The third advantage is that H.264 is highly flexible and can be applied to a wide variety of networks, system applications, and broadcasts. Such as YouTube, Microsoft Silverlight, and ATSC.
4. The fourth advantage of H.264 is it is one of the Blu-ray Disc encoding and decoding standards, and all Blu-ray Disc players can decode H.264.
After learning about H.264, now we need to download an MKV to H.264 converter (f2fsoft Video Converter) to Windows or Mac.
What is f2fsoft Video Converter?
2. You can cut the video length, crop the screen size, adjust the video clarity, extract subtitles, add watermarks, etc.
3. Videos converted using this software can be played on many mobile electronic devices, such as iPhone, Samsung, Sony PS4, Xbox 360 and more.
Step1: Free download f2fsoft Video Converter on a computer.
Step2: Open the software and click the Add File button in the upper left corner of the main page to load the MKV file into the video converter.
Step3: Click the Profile button at the bottom of the page, a list will pop up on the right and General Video > H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Video will be selected as the output format.
Step4: You can make some changes to the video by clicking on the three buttons on the page except for the Add File button, such as adding 3D effects to the video.
Step5: Finally, click the blue Convert button in the lower right corner to start the MKV to H.264 conversion.
Once the video conversion is complete, you can view the storage location, and then you can watch it on a digital device that supports H.264 format via USB, such as a computer or tablet. Or you can add it to some editing software like Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, iMovie, etc. You can also use other players to play it, like Windows Media Player, QuickTime player, VLC, and so on.
Note: After reading this article, you may also like to know how to convert WTV to MP4.
You May Also Like to Read: